My first post from the PDC is on getting ready and getting to LA.  I have been getting ready for the PDC over the last few weeks.  I have been getting Ghost images of my hard drives ready.  Creating backup DVDs of the software if I want to re-load my laptop from scratch (OS, VS, Office, Servers, etc.).  I also zipped everthing up so its on my laptop as well.  I  have about 40GB free of the 120GB.

Even though I live in the Cleveland area, I flew out of Pittsburgh, which is close to my in-laws.  They dropped me off at 6:30 AM.  I have not flown since the new security checks have been in place.  I knew that I would have to remove the laptop so it could go through the x-ray machine.  I also unloaded another section of my briefcase, which took about 3 minutes to do.  The security gaurd on the other side of the metal detector said all I need to do was send the laptop through.  Then she got a look at the second tray that came through.  It was packed to the top with the digital camera, MP3 jukebox, PDA, spare batteries, cell phone, plus the normal loose items in the pockets.  She then thanked me for having done it.

The flight as uneventful, until we got into the LA area.  There have been forest fires 30 miles east of downtown.  These fires really started to explode on Sat.  I was listening to the flight deck and there were asking if they could divert the plane north, rather than fly through all of the smoke.  The control tower said that only 2 planes out of the last 30 actually diverted, and they could only divert south.  The plane divert slightly south of the main smoke cloud, but we flew about 1 minute through the smoke.  As we went through, the light in the plane became dim, and had a wired yellow-brown tinge.  As we made our way through the smoke, you could actually smell it.  The landing was normal.  Once I got on land, I got the rental car and drove to the Whilshire.  I got stuck in a traffic jam at 2:00 PM.  Only in LA.

Digg It!DZone It!StumbleUponTechnoratiRedditDel.icio.usNewsVineFurlBlinkList